a legend is now watching over all of us

October 28th, 2016 · 14 Comments

dg

we need to give daniel’s friends and family some space right now.

i just wanted to share something.

screen-shot-2016-10-28-at-1-22-58-pm

daniel and i became friends quickly when he was the bartender somewhere. detox? yes. i was getting over a breakup and he was so fun to take places. a couple years trying to forget my ex and a few months hanging out with daniel gray and i was a new woman. he can be SUCH a dick (i called him my bully-older-brother) but has a heart of gold. when i moved out of my apartment he was there to help me automatic. remember when he was selling his sectional couch on FB? i needed a couch and texted him and he was at my place with royce that day. he even took my old couch to dump for me. that couch is my healing throne, btw. the sectional i pushed together to make a lillypad of happiness. and healing. lol daniel’s couch. we had so many jokes.

when we started hanging out i had just started with better brands and there were SO many fancy functions and etc. and he was the perfect plus one because a.) he’s handsome b.) he’s funny and c.) he’s fackin SMART! he could hold conversations with the CEO, the CEO’s wife, and the CEO’s landscaper. The CEOs daughter. Lol esp the daughter.

dafadg

we did a few shows together. who remembers lafa talor. or the elevators (which was SO fun omg the pop-up performances so good). we never got romantic which made it a really fun friendship. when i let him stay with me in my studio apartment (while he was building out the plans for SOHO Mixed Media Bar) he would come home after work all excited to tell me something. usually a girl. it never bothered me to wake up and listen. i had an L shaped couch and he slept on the | part and i slept on the _ part. it was plutonic and awesome. he cooks from scratch and really really good food. he would leave really funny embarrassing video messages on my Facebook page that i wouldn’t see until half my friends list did. t felt like i really did have a bully older brother.

screen-shot-2016-10-28-at-7-27-53-am i am most proud of him for making SOHO happen. also for keeping LOFT alive. for working so hard to keep Nextdoor alive. being there when Daniel would be sitting on the little stool in front of my computer all hours of the night putting SOHO’s business plan together feels like i was a part of history. looking at Chinatown there’s been some epic era’s in the scene. I was around for a lot of the Indigo era, the thirtyninehotel era, Nextdoor when it was a cinema lounge. the LOFT, Detox, and of course the SOHO era. That one raised a whole new generation of It Girls and a new culture of stop taking yourself so seriously. and have FUN. i think a lot of you guys that were regulars there can attest to that.

there’s too much but yes, a legend is now watching over us.

thank you, daniel, for all of your blood, sweat, more sweat (i would never say tears cause you loved it). i respect and appreciate what you did for Chinatown. also what you did for my life. i love you buddy.

screen-shot-2016-10-28-at-1-22-36-pm

Please join us as we celebrate the life of Daniel Edward Gray.
4pm-5pm Social Hour
5pm-6:15 Program
6:15-8pm Sunset, Food and Wine

Elks Club- 2nd Floor, 2933 Kalakaua Ave.

If you have some pictures you would like to add to the slide show pleaes send them to mabecks5@yahoo.com

Tags: nightlife

• 1 Kelli kelli bullock // Oct 28, 2016 at 9:03 am

xoxoxoxo
    big hugs

• 2 Karmik // Oct 28, 2016 at 9:04 am

You will be remembered and the time we had as friends will be cherished my dear friend. Thank you for sharing your energy with me.

• 3 Jose // Oct 28, 2016 at 10:37 am

Love this! Thanks for sharing CW!

• 4 Melissa // Oct 28, 2016 at 11:27 am

I’m so sorry, Christa. I hope he’s finally at peace. This was a perfect tribute to him….

• 5 Josh T // Oct 28, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Much love
    You will be missed! Tip toe on that galactic star dust Homie, now you can dance with the Gods.

• 6 Josh T // Oct 28, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Much love
    You will be missed. Tip toe on that galactic stardust Homie, now you can dance with the Gods.

• 7 Ecstacy // Oct 28, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Daniel… Can’t believe you’re gone…
    Mahalo for sharing your story.

• 8 RO // Oct 28, 2016 at 3:58 pm

the most interesting man in the world… See you soon brother.

• 9 Kevin // Oct 28, 2016 at 5:33 pm

I remember Daniel from my visits back home…and based on all the spots he worked with, I can’t imagine how the Hawaii scene may differ had he not been part of it. Makes me sad, but all the good night’s he was a part of make so many people smile.

• 10 Dom Acain // Oct 28, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Much love and aloha to the Ohana. Daniel will be truly missed.

• 11 Paul Klink // Oct 29, 2016 at 9:45 am

Daniel your indelible attitude-of-gratitude and Aloha inspired all of us. Your wood work transcends time with each piece contains a bit of your spirit… You live on forever in all of us you touched so beautifully Bro! Our deep chats will never be forgotten and will echo on for eternity … Your Aloha Lives Forever Bro! Love you Man! #FuckCancer! PS Christa mahalo for shining light! Love you Sis!!!

• 12 Joy Bitonio // Oct 29, 2016 at 3:12 pm

❤️Such a legend.

• 13 kevin oshiro // Oct 30, 2016 at 3:26 am

I couldn’t believe reading the FB post, probably on Friday. the day of the Psychedelic Furs concert at the Republik (I talked briefly with Flashee Flash about this somber matter); DJ Dan & Soundsex at Next Door. No way.. Wow… I can’t believe it.. a Hawaii legend has gone to the nightclub institution/graveyard (in the sky). Ever since 2012, I have checked out his Chinatown nightclubs thanks to this website.) Gone, but never ever Forgotten. He was fiercely independent and walked to the sound of his own drum; Daniel was so down-to-earth. Everyone will have our fondest memories of the fun times that they have had with him – it will be ingrained/drilled in their heads forever. Rest In Peace, my Kauai bruddah. I will always remember you..

• 14 Christa // Oct 31, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Please join us as we celebrate the life of Daniel Edward Gray.
    4pm-5pm Social Hour
    5pm-6:15 Program
    6:15-8pm Sunset, Food and Wine

Elks Club- 2nd Floor, 2933 Kalakaua Ave.