farewell sergio goes. until we meet again.

July 13th, 2008 · 12 Comments

i first met sergio with the chinatown visionaries at thirtyninehotel. he was working on a pretty big project next door with some friends. a fully equipped cinema lounge complete with a bar and sound system. a new permanent home for cinema paradise. it sounded so rad. we were all stoked.

like everyone, i was a huge fan of his work and honored to know him. i still remember an e-mail conversation we had one time when he told me he saw something in what i do and that he wanted to help me develop it. he said “there’s more to a photograph than a drunken shaka at 4am outside the wave.” he was so right. i studied his work closely and saw brilliance of an unstaged moment. the honesty of it. it inspired me to move away from the direction i was going and tell my stories in a different way. to try and capture more candids or just share the situation from the exact same perspective i was seeing it instead of gathering people together and being like “ok! smile!”

sergio is single handedly responsible for any honor i have when trying to capture the scene here.

the last time i saw him in april was so bittersweet. he had walked away from his mosquito after it crash landed and was sort of incredulous to even be alive. we had drinks and laughed and i remember putting his number in my new phone to take him up on his offer to work with me one on one. to identify my voice and work on it. to actually learn how to be a photographer as well as a story teller. god, i remember i even titled that entry after the conversation we had. he was feeling extremely fortunate to be alive.

wait! i spoiled it! what i meant to say was we totally intercepted sergio goes as he was trying to leave thirtyninehotel. got him for one more drink.

keany was JUST telling me how sergio almost died last week too. his friggin little mosquito crashed. he was supposed to die but instead he walked away from the accident totally fine. so weird!!

we decided to have patron margaritas about it. i want to take this time to apologize to all of you that were waiting in line for a drink at thirtyninehotel that night. a margarita is a very time consuming drink to make. my bad. we should have totally just done shots. sorry. sorry sorry.

but just so you know. they were yum..

I’m so so so so glad you decided to come back up for one more drink sergio. thank you for everything you taught all of us.

aloha sergio. a hui ho.

Tags: thank you

• 1 Atherton Bartelby // Jul 14, 2008 at 9:42 pm

Beautiful memories of him. Thank you for sharing.

• 2 Christa // Jul 14, 2008 at 10:04 pm

jacy sent me this:

it’s a firsthand account of what happened by one of the divers who was with him:

a very good read. beautiful photo.
    finding peace in this now.

• 3 Cyrina Hadad // Jul 15, 2008 at 12:30 pm

On the late afternoon of July 11, 2008, we lost a talented photographer,
    acclaimed filmmaker, dedicated father, outstanding member of our
    community, and longtime friend. Sergio Goes was free diving off of
    Waikiki, a hobby he recently picked-up while working on a photo
    assignment. With his love of nature, his adventurous spirit and his
    creative drive, you could often hear him say, “Lucky we live Hawaii.”

The response from friends and the community have been tremendously kind
    and comforting. Thank you all for your messages of condolence.

A memorial will be held to scatter ashes at Kaimana Beach on Saturday,
    July 19th at 7:00 AM. Please join us on the beach, paddle or swim out and bid
    farewell to our friend.

Next month the Goes family from Brazil will be in town for Sergio’s
    “Celebration of Life”, which will also be a fundraiser for his son Gabriel.
    Details to come.

Cards and condolences can be mailed to Andrea Torres, 1260B Saint Louis Drive, Honolulu, HI 96816

Please feel free to pass this e-mail forward to friends of Sergio.

** The family request that television crews please respect the privacy of this memorial. Media filming is NOT welcome.

• 4 Marcelo Goes // Jul 15, 2008 at 1:00 pm

Thank you people for all the positive vibrations. His mother Maria Tereza, father Horacio, brother Marcelo and sister Fernanda from Brazil are really greatuful.

Rest in Peace Sergio.

• 5 Makana // Jul 17, 2008 at 10:03 am

aloha.. I remember meeting Sergio at “Cup of Joe” on Monsarrat back around ’96.. he immediately called all his friends and threw together a huge “Brazillian” party at which I played.. this went on for a few years. I’d sleep on his floor on weekends. He turned me onto Ben Harper before the big craze.. Sergio took my on my first trip to Moloka’i in a tiny 4 man Sesna.. we got drunk on Heinekens, fell asleep on the rocks out by the ocean, then stumbled into some ele makule’s backyard (it was called “OGP”- ‘Ohana Gathering Place :) for morning jello shots.. Sergio shot my first record cover (front & back), we worked together on countless features and publications. He was one of my first friends out of high school, and made me part of his ‘ohana when my own was falling apart. To this day, some of my dearest friends are those I met through Serg. I watched Gabriel grow up on Kaimana, and we all shared many epic sunsets together. Sergio, you are so loved and appreciated. I will always hold space for you in my heart.. and mahalo for coming to Waimanalo last weekend in the form of a quick, unexpected squall as I wailed Sting’s words: “on and on the rain will fall, like tears from the stars/ on and on the rain will say, how fragile we are”. Love you Eternal Brother. Makana

• 6 Sergio Goes 1964-2008 at lines of flight // Jul 17, 2008 at 1:47 pm

[…] farewell sergio goes. until we meet again. […]

• 7 doug upp // Jul 18, 2008 at 3:38 pm

(PLEASE!! forgive the inappropriateness of my previous comment. What can I say, but too many open windows. My apologies)

Isn’t it such an element of Sergio’s spirit to bring forth such love, and co-mingling of hearts and sentiments? His loss ha even touched friends who’ve never met him, but enjoyed and admired his work, sparking discussions on beauty and adventure.

• 8 went a bit linkcrazy in this one. click. clicky click. | Honolulu's Nightlife Diaries // Jul 18, 2008 at 10:52 pm

[…] get up early. anyone who is just as shocked and saddened as i am about our dear friend please come to kaimana beach sat at 7am. there may be comfort. and we will have each […]

• 9 Angel // Jul 19, 2008 at 4:06 pm

Sergio really loved Hawaii, as if it were his native country. I knew Sergio as a proud single father, humanitarian, and one of the most intelligent ambassadors for Hawaii’s modern art and culture. A part of me is really at a lost for words about his passing…

• 10 levi // Jul 19, 2008 at 9:00 pm

simple one great artist that lived and willlive on in all of us that he knew. peace and blessings you will be missed sergio

• 11 Christa // Jul 20, 2008 at 10:53 am

the memorial was so beautiful. hundreds of people on the beach. so many different people. he touched so so so many different people. it was nice to see. at one point i remember gabriel standing tall behind his mother, looking up at sergio’s girlfriend wiping her face saying “don’t cry”

the moment was captured beautifully here:

• 12 Best of 2008 | Honolulu's Nightlife Diaries // Jan 2, 2009 at 2:10 pm

[…] lost some amazing talents sergio goes. i miss you so much. komo low. we’re doing it all for you […]